Policies and Procedures

Academic Honors

The College of Idaho awards honors upon graduation to recognize outstanding academic achievements.


Grade Point Average

 Cum Laude

 3.500 - 3.749

 Magna Cum Laude

 3.750 - 3.849

 Summa Cum Laude

 3.850 - 4.000


Academic Misconduct

The College of Idaho maintains that academic honesty and integrity are essential values in the educational process. Operating under an Honor Code philosophy, the College expects conduct rooted in honesty, integrity, and understanding, allowing members of a diverse student body to live together and interact and learn from one another in ways that protect both personal freedom and community standards. Violations of academic honesty are addressed primarily by the instructor and may be referred to the Student Judicial Board.


Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to:

  • Cheating on exams or assignments
  • Plagiarism
  • Ghost writing
  • Buying or using a term paper, exam, or project that was not composed by the student turning it in
  • Use of unauthorized notes or information during an exam
  • Taking an exam for another student
  • Collaboration on take-home exams when it has been forbidden
  • Furnishing false or misleading information on any official College form or the College website


Plagiarism is the presentation of another's product, words, ideas, or data as one's own work. When a student submits work for credit that includes the product, words, ideas, or data of others, the source must be acknowledged by the use of complete, accurate, and specific references, such as footnotes. By placing one's name on work submitted for credit, the student certifies the originality of all work not otherwise identified by appropriate acknowledgments. A student will be charged with plagiarism if there is not an acknowledgment of indebtedness. Acknowledgment must be made whenever:

  • One quotes another person's actual words or replicates part of another's product.
  • One uses another person's ideas, opinions, work, data, or theories, even if they are completely paraphrased in one's own words.
  • One borrows facts, statistics, or other illustrative materials, unless the information is common knowledge (already published in at least three other sources without citation).


The burden of proof of student academic dishonesty or misconduct lies with the professor; the imposition of penalties is also the responsibility of the professor. Professors have the discretion to require that the student repeat the assignment or exam, or may give a failing grade for the assignment, exam, or course, or may otherwise deal with the academic dishonesty in a manner in which they determine to be appropriate within the context of their course. Before determining an appropriate disposition of the situation, the faculty member is encouraged to consult with the Provost to see if there are other instances of academic dishonesty by the student on file in the Provost's records.

In any instance, the student has the right to appeal the professor's accusation and penalty by invoking the Grade Mediation Policy

In the case of repeated or more serious violations of academic honesty, the professor or department chair may also recommend to the Dean of Students and the Provost that the student be referred to the Student Judicial Board. The Student Judicial Board will hear the case, and will make a recommendation back to the Dean of Students and the Provost about any further disciplinary action, including possible suspension or expulsion.

Academic Petitions

Individuals or groups of students always have the privilege of petition. Academic petitions should be addressed to the Registrar. Other petitions should be directed to the appropriate administrative officer. Academic petition forms can be obtained from the Registrar's Office. Petitions are reviewed weekly through the academic term.

Only completed, timely petitions will be reviewed. A student's negligence regarding policies and deadlines stated in the College Catalog or other official documents does not merit petition approval.

Academic Reprieve

Students who have completed two consecutive full-time semesters at The College of Idaho with a grade point average of at least 2.00 in each period may once, and only once, after consultation with and approval from their advisor, the Provost, and the Registrar, eliminate one entire previous semester's, session's, or quarter's work from the computation of credits and grade points in their academic record. The eliminated work may have been attempted at any college or university. Nothing will be erased from the record, but the work in question will be bracketed to indicate that it is not being counted. None of the work undertaken in the session that the student chooses to eliminate may be counted toward any requirement for graduation. Students may repeat the eliminated courses only if they have not subsequently taken and passed courses to which the eliminated courses are prerequisites.

Academic Standing: Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Students' progress according to SAP guidelines is measured at the end of each semester in order to determine academic and financial aid eligibility for future semesters. For a more detailed description of the College policy, please see Maintaining Eligibility for Financial Aid. In order to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, students must continue to meet the following:

  • Earn a 2.00 semester (term) grade point average or higher for the most recent fall or spring semester.
  • Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher.
  • Complete a minimum number of credits for each academic year (based on Federal Financial Aid completion rates).
  • Complete all degree requirements within a specified time-frame.

Please see Student Standings for the SAP student status categories.

Class Standing

The class in which a regular or conditional student is ranked at the beginning of the college year is based upon the following:


Completed Credits

First-Year 0-27 credits
Sophomore 28-59 credits
Junior 60-89 credits
Senior 90+ credits

Course Numbering

Lower-division courses are numbered 100 through 299. Upper-division courses are numbered 300 through 499.

Drops, Withdrawals, and Leaves of Absence

Administrative Drop

A student who does not attend the first session of any course will be administratively dropped from that class roster and will need to re-register for the course if they plan to take the course. If a student is unable to attend the first class session, they must contact the instructor and the Registrar’s Office prior to the first class session to request not to be dropped and to arrange the completion of any missing assignments.

Students are responsible for checking their own schedule before the end of the add/drop period to confirm all courses have been properly added and/or dropped. Students may check their schedule on Self Service via Student Planning or through the Registrar’s Office.

Withdrawal from Courses

Students may, in consultation with their academic advisor, drop any course until the close of registration. The course does not appear on the student's record. Students should refer to the academic calendar for specific dates each semester.

Under certain circumstances, an instructor, the Provost, or the Dean of Students, in consultation with the Registrar, may administratively withdraw a student from a course. In such a case a mark of W will appear on the transcript.

A student may withdraw from any course until the last day to elect Pass/Fail or withdraw from a class, but the course appears on the record with a mark of W. Students should refer to the academic calendar for specific deadlines each semester. Students will be withdrawn as of the day that they notify the Registrar's Office of their withdrawal. After the last day to elect Pass/Fail or withdraw from a class, a student who ceases to attend class is assigned the grade they have earned. Merely ceasing to attend class does not constitute withdrawal, and failure to follow prescribed withdrawal procedures may result in a grade of F.

The College of Idaho does not allow students to withdraw retroactively from a course from which they earned a grade. A course withdrawal must be completed by the deadline.

Withdrawal from the College

A student who must withdraw completely from the College should initiate action with the Dean of Students. Grades of W or F are assigned in accordance with the policies set forth under Withdrawal from Courses. Students will be withdrawn as of the day on which they submit their form or notify the institution, not according to the last date of attendance. In some cases, if sufficient work has been completed and extenuating circumstances are established, it may be possible to arrange for grades of Incomplete. (See regulations on Incomplete Grades.) Students having questions or needing assistance should contact the Dean of Students or the Registrar's Office.

Leave of Absence

Voluntary Leave of Absence

Ordinarily, the College expects full-time students to complete the bachelor's degree in four academic years. At times, however, family, medical, personal, or financial emergencies arise that may interrupt one's studies. Students who must leave the College for a short time but intend to return to their studies may request a Voluntary Leave of Absence for up to four consecutive semesters. Students who do not return within two years will be re-classified as Withdrawn from the College; withdrawal policies and procedures will then apply. The Voluntary Leave of Absence process is initiated with the Dean of Students. Students receiving financial aid are advised to consult the Office of Student Financial Aid Services before requesting a Voluntary Leave of Absence in order to verify how their financial aid package might be affected. Please note that the two years in LOA status will count toward the six-year window of catalogs under which students may qualify to graduate. Please see Degrees and Graduation Application for more information.

Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence

The College may require a student to take an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence in certain circumstances when the student's health may be adversely affected or the community may be adversely affected by the student's continued presence on campus. This policy describes how these leaves of absence can be issued and appealed.

The Dean of Students or designee may issue Involuntary Medical Leave of Absences. An Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence may be issued if:

  • The student is engaging in, or is threatening to engage in, behavior that poses a significant danger of causing substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others; or

  • The student's behavior has resulted in substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others and the behavior continues, or there is a risk the behavior will continue, posing a significant danger of causing substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others; or

  • The student's behavior has resulted in significant disruption of the teaching, learning, or administrative activities of other members of the campus community and the behavior continues, or there is a risk the behavior will continue, with the likely result of such behavior substantially impeding the education processes or proper activities or functions of the College and its personnel.

Before issuing an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence, the Dean of Students or designee will, when possible:

  • Consult with others who can provide relevant information about the student's condition; and

  • Provide the student an opportunity to present information about the student's circumstances. If the student is unable or unwilling to meet with the Dean in a timely manner, the student's opportunity to provide information is waived.

The Dean or designee will issue an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence in writing (email to the student's College of Idaho address and hardcopy to student's campus mailbox) to the student. The written notice will include:

  • The effective date of the leave

  • The reasons for requiring the leave

  • The conditions for re-enrollment

  • Any restrictions imposed on the student's access to the campus or college-sponsored activities

A student wishing to return from an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence must:

  • Notify the Dean of Students of desire to return.

  • Document fulfillment of all conditions placed on re-enrollment.

  • Meet all other admission and enrollment requirements of the College.

The Dean will notify the student in writing of the decision to approve or deny returning to campus and/or re-enrollment.

Enrollment and Registration


Enrollment is the process of registering for courses and confirming arrangements for payment with the Business Office.

To complete enrollment, the student must be registered full time for the semester and either be paid in full for the semester or on a payment plan (see Payment Options) by August 15 for fall semester and December 15 for spring semester.

Failure to make satisfactory payment arrangements will result in expulsion from classes and charges calculated according to the refund rate for withdrawal (see Institutional Refund Policy).


We strongly believe that student success in college depends upon a partnership: The College's faculty advisors play a large role in guiding students through academic programs and requirements. But ultimately, students are responsible for knowing the requirements and monitoring their own progress. Thus, the first step in registering for classes is consulting with one's academic advisor. Next, the advisor grants approval to register, and the student signs up for classes through the Self Service portal. Closed or permission-only classes require signed Add/Drop paper forms, available in the Registrar's Office or online at the Registrar's Forms and Documents page. All business or administrative holds must be removed before a student may register. Students should verify that they are correctly registered by viewing their schedule through Self Service.

Normal Load and Overload

A normal load for undergraduate students in good standing is from 12 to 18 credits in the fall and spring semesters, and from 3 to 5 credits in the winter term. A recommended fall or spring load for students after their first term is 14-16 credits. Students who wish to enroll for credit in excess of the maximum study load—18 credits in fall or spring, 5 credits in winter—must petition for approval in advance; additional tuition charges will apply. Approval requires the advisor's signature and is based to a great extent upon the student’s past academic record. Student will be responsible for additional credit charges.

Financial aid eligibility usually requires that a student maintain full-time status, which means that a student be registered for at least 12 credits during the fall semester and at least 12 credits during the spring semester; in addition, varsity athletes, international students, and recipients of Veteran's benefits typically must register for at least 12 credits in the fall, 3 credits in winter, and 12 credits in the spring.

Class Attendance

The College of Idaho values the contributions that students make in the classroom. All students are expected to attend classes and laboratories in which they are enrolled and are expected to abide by specific course attendance policies as described in course syllabi. A student who is absent without explanation from the first course meeting during a semester or term will be administratively dropped from the course by the Registrar.

The College also recognizes the importance of co- and extra-curricular activities to the overall educational experience. If a student expects to miss class during the semester because of scheduled commitments to college-sponsored activities, the student should communicate this to the instructor during the first week of instruction. Early communication allows the student and instructor to discuss the impact of absences on coursework and, if necessary, for the student to schedule alternative courses before the add/drop deadline. In all cases, students must give notice to instructor(s) at least one week in advance of their absence regarding missed class time and coursework. Absence from class for any reason does not exempt the student from completing all course assignments on time.

Auditing a Course

Currently Enrolled Students

Current full-time students may audit a course provided space is available and they receive the instructor's permission. Students interested in auditing a class should present the audit form to the instructor at least a week before the beginning of the class; the audit form will describe the instructor's expectations regarding levels of participation and attendance. All decisions regarding auditing of a class, including continuing participation, rest with the instructor. Students who complete an audited course will receive a grade of AU on their transcript but receive no academic credit; courses audited do not count as part of the student's load for veterans' benefits or athletic eligibility. Enrolled students pay the standard overload fee if the audited course brings their fall or spring semester load above 18 credits or their winter or summer load above 5 credits. All rules regarding add/drop, withdrawals, and administrative withdrawals follow the academic calendar and college policies. Audited courses cannot be converted to credit-bearing classes or retaken for credit.

Part-Time and Non-Degree-Seeking Students

All the above regulations apply to part-time and non-degree-seeking students, with the standard per-credit tuition and fees applying to any audited course. (See Part-Time Tuition and Fees.)

Full-Time Employees and Graduates

Full-time employees and graduates of The College of Idaho may audit up to two courses per academic year at no cost for tuition, provided space is available and they receive the instructor's permission. (Academic and health fees apply; see Part-Time Tuition and Fees.) Graduates interested in auditing classes should first contact the Alumni Office and then complete the audit form before contacting the instructor. Employees should submit a completed Staff Audit Application to the Registrar's Office. (Forms are located in HR Resources in Canvas.)  All other conditions that apply for enrolled students apply for College employees and graduates.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

Student Rights

In accordance with federal law, students are hereby notified that they have the following rights with respect to their education records:

  • The right to inspect and review your education record within a reasonable time after the College receives a request for access. If you want to review your record, contact the Registrar's Office to make appropriate arrangements.
  • The right to request an amendment of your education record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you feel there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed and why you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. The Registrar will notify you of their decision and advise you regarding appropriate steps if you do not agree with the decision.
  • The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with "legitimate educational interests." A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official has a "need to know" information from your education record in order to fulfill his or her official responsibilities. Examples of people who may have access, depending on their official duties, and only within the context of those duties, include: College faculty and staff, agents of the institution, students employed by the institution or who serve on official institutional committees, and representatives of agencies under contract with the College.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Release of student record information is generally not done at The College of Idaho without the expressed, written consent of the student.
    There are, however, some exceptions. For example, directory information includes the following, and may be released without the student's consent: name, local address, home address, email address, local telephone number, home telephone number, major, status (including current enrollment, dates of attendance, full-time/part-time, withdrawn), honors received (e.g., Dean's List recognition), participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams. Please note that you have the right to withhold the release of directory information. To do so, you must complete a "Directory Hold" form, which is available from the Office of the Registrar. Please note two important details regarding placing a "No Release" on your record:
    • The College receives many inquiries for directory information from a variety of sources outside the institution, including friends, parents, relatives, prospective employers, the news media and honor societies. Having a "No Release" on your record will preclude release of such information, even to those people.
    • A "No Release" applies to all elements of directory information on your record. The College of Idaho does not apply a "No Release" differentially to the various directory information data elements.

Directory Information

At its discretion, the College may provide directory information in accordance with the provisions of FERPA (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) to include a student's

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • E-mail address
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Class standing
  • Full- or part-time status
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Photos
  • Most recent previous educational agency or institution attended
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height (members of varsity athletics teams)

Students may withhold directory information by notifying the Registrar's Office and filling out the appropriate form. This request for non-disclosure will be honored until it is revoked. A request to withhold directory information will prevent the student's name and degree from being published on the Dean's Honor Roll and in the Commencement program. If non-directory information is required during an emergency, The College of Idaho may release that information if it deems that the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.

Students may allow the release of academic and/or financial information to designated individuals by completing the Information Release form that can be obtained in the Registrar's Office.

Protecting Student Privacy

College employees can no longer release Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) related information in-person, over the phone or via email to anyone other than the student. This includes family members. 

New guidance released from the Department of Education states universities and colleges cannot release information derived from a student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to anyone other than the student or institutional departments with express need to aid in determine eligibility. FAFSA data includes application status, EFC (expected family contribution), financial need, award information, housing plans as declared on the FAFSA, and any other information resulting from the student’s FAFSA responses.

It has been the College's policy to allow students to sign a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Release of Information Authorization Form to grant permission to provide FAFSA information to others, including family members.  This practice is no longer permissible according to the U.S. Department of Education's (ED) Privacy and Technical Assistance Center’s (PTAC) interpretation of the Higher Education Act (HEA). College employees may only share this information directly with the student. For additional information on this topic, please go here.

All institutions participating in federal financial aid programs are required to provide enrolled and potential students and current and prospective employees' available consumer information.  This page provides useful links that fulfill the College's compliance with the disclosure requirements under the 1998 Amendments to the Higher Education Act of 1965 to disclose annually where the following student consumer information may be found. You can find this information here.

Grades and Transcripts

Grade Calculation and Meaning

The following charts indicate the meaning of the grades assigned and the number of quality points given per credit for each grade. Students who fail to register or enroll officially are not assigned grades or given credit for a course.

 Grades Used in the Grade Point Average Calculation

 Excellent Good Satisfactory Poor Failure
   A 4.00  B+ 3.30     C+ 2.30     C- 1.70     F 0.00 
   A- 3.70  B 3.00       C 2.00     D+ 1.30     
     B- 2.70    
 D  1.00     
                D- 0.70    



 Grades Not Used in the Grade Point Average Calculation

 AU Audit Audit of Coursework
 CIP In Progress Unassigned; in progress
 I Incomplete Refer to policy on Incomplete Grades.
P Passing Passing with credit given. May be elected by students in some instances under the Pass-Fail option.
 W Withdrawal Clear withdraw from course(s).

Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) is obtained by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of credits attempted, except credits marked AU, P, W, and I, and other credits awarded which do not carry quality points. Credits with the grade of F are used in the calculation.

Grade Reports

Midterm and final grades are made available to students through Self Service. No paper grade reports are distributed or mailed unless specifically requested by students. Copies of grades are sent to parents only if authorized by the student. Students having questions or needing assistance should contact the Registrar's Office. 

Grade Change Policy

Once a grade has been recorded in the Registrar’s Office it can be changed only if an error was made in assigning the original grade. An error refers to incorrect data entry, miscalculation, or failure to consider all coursework submitted before the grading deadline. Any coursework received after grades are posted or the Incomplete contract deadline cannot be considered for a grade change.

If a grading error was made, the instructor must notify the Registrar’s Office by submitting a Grade Change form no later than the end of the semester following the grade submission. To protect records integrity, all grade changes must be submitted in writing and be signed and dated by the instructor.

For an error discovered more than one term after grade submission, the grade change must be approved by the Provost and supported by documentation (e.g., grade books, papers, examinations) from the instructor or department chair. No changes will be permitted more than one year after the grade has been recorded.

A student who believes that a course grade does not accurately reflect their performance must attempt to resolve the matter with the faculty member within the first six weeks of the next full academic semester (e.g., discussion of fall or winter grades must begin within the first six weeks of spring semester, and spring and summer grades within the first six weeks of fall semester).  If the student and faculty member are unable to reach a solution, then the student may request grade mediation. Please see the Grade Mediation Policy in the catalog.

Grade Mediation Policy

If a student believes a course grade was improperly or unfairly assigned, the College has a grade mediation procedure to help resolve the matter. The evaluation of a student's academic performance is the sole responsibility of the person appointed to teach or supervise the course. A student who questions the validity of a faculty member's final evaluation of the student's academic work should confer with that faculty member within the first six weeks of the next full academic semester (e.g., discussion of fall or winter grades must begin within the first six weeks of spring semester, and spring grades within the first six weeks of fall semester). If the matter cannot be resolved between the faculty member and the student, the student should seek the appropriate department or division chair or academic advisor to act as a mediator between the student and faculty member. However, the faculty member assigned to teach the course retains the final responsibility for assigning the course grade. After the final outcome, if the student and/or mediator feel that the faculty member in question has been unprofessional in resolving the matter, they should send a letter to the Provost to be put in the file of the faculty member and considered by the Faculty Evaluation Committee as part of the regular evaluation process.

If the student writes a letter to the Provost to be put in the file of the faculty member, a copy of the letter will be given by the Provost to the faculty member and to the mediator, so that they may be informed of the comments. Either or both the faculty member and the person who served as mediator may write letters for the file as well.

The mediator will prepare a brief summary of the interaction with the student and its outcome and will give a copy of the summary to the student, the faculty member, and the Provost. The mediator will also retain a file copy. The file copy and the Provost's summary will be retained through the subsequent evaluation period of the faculty member, in case it would need to be referred to for any reason.

If the faculty member whose grade is questioned is no longer employed by the College or is otherwise unavailable because of sabbatical leave or some other reason:

  • The student meets with the department chair of the faculty member's department (or, if the faculty member involved is the department chair, then the student meets with the division chair).

  • The department chair and the student's academic advisor help the student prepare a petition for review by a special committee appointed by the Provost in consultation with Curriculum Council; the committee shall consist of one member from the faculty member's department or a closely aligned discipline, one faculty member from the division, and one faculty member from outside the division.

  • This special committee will review all available material and speak with people who may have insight into the situation and will come to some resolution that may include—but is not limited to—changing the grade(s) in question to Pass.

  • The timelines for beginning the grade mediation procedure are the same whether or not the faculty member continues at the College.

  • The decision of the special committee is final.

Incomplete Grades

The grade of I (Incomplete) may be assigned when a student has met all of the following conditions:

  • The student has attended class through the final withdrawal date in accordance with the course attendance policy. The last date of attendance should occur after the withdrawal deadline.

  • The student has completed the majority of possible coursework at that point in time and is in good standing, having earned C- or better.

  • When the instructor believes the student’s inability to complete the course is due to legitimate causes beyond the student’s reasonable control (such as an illness or traumatic event occurring after the final withdrawal date).

The instructor and student must submit an Incomplete Grade Contract to the Registrar’s Office before the last day of finals in the semester in which the student is registered for the course. Final approval for the Incomplete is at the discretion of the Registrar, providing that the student meets the conditions listed above.

All work for the course must be completed and a final grade must be submitted to the Registrar by the faculty member by the end of the next semester (last day of finals, fall or spring), or the grade of F will be recorded. Instructors may establish earlier deadlines.

By petition and with the permission of the instructor of record, the Registrar may extend the time for completion in cases of hardship on a case-by-case basis.

Pass-Fail Option

At any time before the posted last day to elect Pass-Fail or withdraw from a class, a student may elect to take a course on a Pass-Fail basis by filing a form with the Registrar. The choice is irrevocable. Choosing the P/F option coincides with the last date to withdraw from a semester course. Refer to the academic calendar for specific dates each semester. The P represents an earned grade of D- or better and will not calculate within the GPA, whereas an F indicates a failing grade and will calculate within the GPA.


  • No more than one course per semester may be taken Pass-Fail.

  • No more than 18 credits of P may be counted toward graduation. (This does not apply to courses where P is the only mark given and the student has no option.)

  • Courses to be counted toward a major, minor, specialization, or graduation requirement may not be taken Pass-Fail without written approval from the department chair or minor supervisor.

Since the grade of P indicates any assigned grade of D- or above, students should be aware that some post-graduate institutions may discount records with this grade.

In some programs, typically study-away programs, Pass-Fail grades may be the only recorded option for earned credit. These courses, in which students have no option for letter grades, may be exempt from the limitations listed above. In cases where programs only offer Pass-Fail grades, students must receive approval through an academic petition prior to the time they attend the program.

Repeating Courses

Upon notifying the Registrar, and with the permission of the instructor, a student who has earned grades of C-, D, or F in a course may repeat the course for the purpose of mastery of the subject. All grades are entered on the student's permanent record, but only the last (most recent) grade is used in calculating the grade point average. Only one enrollment is used in computing the total number of credits. Such repeated courses count in the calculation of the student's load for veterans' benefits only if the original grade was F, or if a grade higher than C- is required for graduation. Students can not repeat a course in which they selected a Pass/Fail. 

If the repeated course is to be taken other than in residence at The College of Idaho, permission must be granted by the Provost (or designee) in accordance with limitations on credit listed under Graduation Requirements.

Transcripts of Record

Official transcripts of record are ordered through the Registrar's Office. In certain circumstances, transcripts may be held if a balance is owed to the College. As stated on each transcript, federal law requires that release of such records be authorized personally by the student. No third party may legally have access to that record without the student's written consent. Official transcripts can be requested via www.getmytranscript.org. Unofficial transcripts can be viewed via Self Service.

Independent Study and Internship

Independent Study

Opportunities for independent work are available through all College departments. A student, with the approval and consent of a faculty member, may enroll for independent study provided that the following guidelines are observed:

  • All applications for independent study must be co-signed by the student, the student's advisor, the faculty member who will assign the final grade, and the appropriate department chairperson.
  • A student may not enroll for more than 3 credits of independent study in any one session without the permission of the Curriculum Council.
  • Independent study does not substitute for regularly scheduled coursework.
  • A faculty member may refuse to supervise an independent study project only with the permission of the Provost.
  • A faculty member may, at the beginning of an independent study project, require that the work be done on a Pass-Fail basis. See Pass-Fail Option.
Application forms, which describe the independent study project, are available from the Registrar's Office. The form must be completed and filed with the Registrar prior to beginning the work.


An internship is an opportunity for students to gain valuable hands-on experience under the careful supervision of an experienced professional. It is also an experiential learning opportunity where students take substantial responsibility for setting their own goals and focusing on their practical and professional education.

Through The College of Idaho's Internship program, students have the opportunity to work in a diversity of professional settings in an environment focused on student learning. Such high-quality academic internships require: (a) the engagement of students in a substantial professional experience and the performance of one or more professional skills; (b) the provision of direct supervision of and multiple opportunities for student performance and feedback from a field-placement supervisor; and (c) the provision of opportunities for student self-assessment and critical reflection.

The College of Idaho's Internship program combines this fieldwork experience with a contemporaneous class designed to provide students with the opportunity to engage in vocational discernment and self-reflect on the transition from college to profession by exploring topics, such as the dynamics and politics of the workplace, confidentiality and ethics, bias and cultural competency, and how to obtain good feedback. The HIP Division provides oversight and evaluation to ensure the opportunity is providing a substantive academic experience for the student, including mid-semester/term site visits or other methods of communication with the field supervisor. The grade for the course is based on a student’s performance in both the classroom component and the fieldwork component of the College’s Internship program.

Students who are in good academic standing (i.e. currently have a cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or above) may participate in The College of Idaho's Internship program, and it is also the College's preference that students do not participate in the Internship program until they have completed at least four semesters at the College (or for transfer students, at least 60 credits).

As part of its Internship program, the College has developed partnerships with diverse organizations for consistent and regular internship placements for College of Idaho students. The College also encourages you to discover or develop your own internships and relationships—really showing your initiative and allowing you to be scrappy and develop skills necessary to create unique opportunities or connections. The College, though, typically does not approve students to complete off-campus internships until—at the earliest—the summer before their junior year. This is because students typically do not have the requisite foundational knowledge to contribute meaningfully to the internship host’s core services.

For all students interested in participating in the College's Internship program, students must complete the following steps after securing an internship offer:

  • Complete the College’s Internship Application; and
  • Ensure that their internship host completes the College’s Internship Site Agreement; and
  • After receiving approval of the internship placement from the HIP Division, enroll in INT-497.

In order to secure one credit of internship, the intern must work a minimum of 39 fieldwork hours. For two credits, the minimum requirement is 78 fieldwork hours, and for three credits, the minimum requirement is 117 fieldwork hours (and so on). Please take note of the word "minimum." Regardless of the number of credits a student is pursuing, students not only need to hit the minimum threshold for the number of enrolled credits, but also need to ensure they meet the obligations to the internship host site. If students register for two or more internship credits, they are permitted to count up to ten (10) hours of the work associated with the classroom component of the course towards their total required fieldwork hours.

Typically, no more than three (3) credits may be earned with any one internship host; however, in limited circumstances, the HIP Division, in consultation with departmental chairs and Academic Advising, will approve up to six (6) credits for a single internship experience. Additionally, students are only eligible to receive up to nine (9) internship credits to count towards the 124 credits required in the undergraduate program.

Unit of Credit

The unit of credit used at The College of Idaho is the semester credit.