Registration & Enrollment


We strongly believe that student success in college depends upon a partnership: C of I faculty advisors play a large role in guiding students through academic programs and requirements. But ultimately, students are responsible for knowing the requirements and monitoring their own progress. Thus, the first step in registering for classes is consulting with one's academic advisor. Next, the advisor grants approval to register, and the student signs up for classes through the Self-Service portal. Closed or permission-only classes require signed Add/Drop paper forms, available in the Registrar's Office or online at the Registrar's page. All business or administrative holds must be removed before a student may register. Students should verify that they are correctly registered by viewing their schedule through Self-Service.


Enrollment is the process of registering for courses and confirming arrangements for payment with the Business Office.

To complete enrollment, the student must be registered full time for the semester and either be paid in full for the semester or on a payment plan (see Payment Options) by August 15 for fall semester and December 15 for spring semester.

Failure to make satisfactory payment arrangements will result in expulsion from classes and charges calculated according to the refund rate for withdrawal (see Cost of Attendance).

Administrative Drop

A student who does not attend the first session of any course will be administratively dropped from that class roster and will need to re-register for the course if he or she plans to take the course. If a student is unable to attend the first class session, he or she must contact the instructor and the Registrar’s Office prior to the first class session to arrange the completion of any missing assignments and request not to be dropped.

Students are responsible for checking their own schedule before the end of the add/drop period to confirm all courses have been properly added and/or dropped. Students may check their schedule on Self-Service via Student Planning or through the Registrar’s Office.

Normal Load and Overload

A normal load for undergraduate students in good standing is from 12 to 18 credits in the fall and spring semesters, and from 3 to 5 credits in the winter term. A recommended fall or spring load for students after their first term is 14-16. Students who wish to enroll for credit in excess of the maximum study load—18 credits in fall or spring, 5 credits in winter— must petition for approval in advance; additional tuition charges will apply. Approval requires the adviser's signature and is based to a great extent upon the student’s past academic record. Student will be responsible for additional credit charges.

Financial aid eligibility usually requires that a student maintain full-time status, which means that a student be registered for at least 12 credits during the fall semester and at least 12 credits during the spring semester; in addition, varsity athletes, international students, and recipients of Veteran's benefits typically must register for at least 12 credits in the fall, 3 credits in winter, and 12 credits in the spring.

Class Attendance

The College of Idaho values the contributions that students make in the classroom. All students are expected to attend classes and laboratories in which they are enrolled and are expected to abide by specific course attendance policies as described in course syllabi. A student who is absent without explanation from the first course meeting during a semester or term will be administratively dropped from the course by the Registrar.

The College also recognizes the importance of co- and extra-curricular activities to the overall educational experience. If a student expects to miss class during the semester because of scheduled commitments to college-sponsored activities, the student should communicate this to the instructor during the first week of instruction. Early communication allows the student and instructor to discuss the impact of absences on coursework and, if necessary, for the student to schedule alternative courses before the add/drop deadline. In all cases, students must give notice to instructor(s) at least one week in advance of their absence regarding missed class time and coursework. Absence from class for any reason does not exempt the student from completing all course assignments on time.

Auditing and Non-credit Instruction

Currently-enrolled Students

Currently enrolled full-time students may audit a course provided space is available and they receive the instructor's permission. Students interested in auditing a class should present the audit form to the instructor at least a week before the beginning of the class; the audit form will describe the instructor's expectations regarding levels of participation and attendance. All decisions regarding auditing of a class, including continuing participation, rest with the instructor. Students who complete an audited course will receive a grade of AU on their transcript but receive no academic credit; courses audited do not count as part of the student's load for veterans' benefits or athletic eligibility. Enrolled students pay the standard overload fee if the audited course brings their fall or spring semester load above 18 credits or their winter or summer load above 5 credits. All rules regarding add/drop, withdrawals, and administrative withdrawals follow the academic calendar and college policies. Audited courses cannot be converted to credit-bearing classes or retaken for credit.

Part-time and Non-degree-seeking Students

All the above regulations apply to part-time and non-degree-seeking students, with the standard per-credit fees applying to any audited course.

C of I Full-time Staff and Graduates

Full-time staff and graduates of The College of Idaho may audit up to two courses per academic year at no cost, provided space is available and they receive the instructor's permission. Graduates interested in auditing classes should first contact the Alumni Office and then complete the audit form before contacting the instructor. All other conditions that apply for enrolled students apply for C of I staff and graduates.

Withdrawal from Courses

Students may, in consultation with their academic advisor, drop any course until the close of registration. The course does not appear on the student's record. Students should refer to the academic calendar for specific dates each semester.

Under certain circumstances, an instructor, the Provost, or the Dean of Students, in consultation with the Registrar, may administratively withdraw a student from a course. In such a case a mark of WA will appear on the transcript.

A student may withdraw from any course until the last day to elect Pass/Fail or withdraw from a class, but the course appears on the record with a mark of W. Students should refer to the academic calendar for specific dates each semester. Students will be withdrawn as of the day that they notify the Registrar's Office of their withdrawal. After the last day to elect Pass/Fail or withdraw from a class, a student who ceases to attend class is assigned the grade they have earned. Merely ceasing to attend class does not constitute withdrawal, and failure to follow prescribed withdrawal procedures may result in a grade of F.

The College of Idaho does not allow students to retroactively withdraw from a course from which they earned a grade. A course withdrawal must be completed by the deadline.

Withdrawal from the College

A student who must withdraw completely from The College should initiate action with the Dean of Students. Grades of W, WA, or F are assigned in accordance with the policies set forth under Withdrawal from Courses. Students will be withdrawn as of the day on which they submit their form or notify the institution, not according to the last date of attendance. In some cases, if sufficient work has been completed and extenuating circumstances are established, it may be possible to arrange for grades of Incomplete. (See regulations on Incomplete Grades.) Students having questions or needing assistance should contact the Dean of Students or the Registrar's Office.

Leave of Absence

Voluntary Leave of Absence

Ordinarily, the College expects full-time students to complete the bachelor's degree in four academic years. At times, however, family, medical, personal, or financial emergencies arise that may interrupt one's studies. Students who must leave the College for a short time but intend to return to their studies may request a Voluntary Leave of Absence for up to four consecutive semesters. Students who do not return within two years will be re-classified as Withdrawn from the College; withdraw policies and procedures will then apply.* The Voluntary Leave of Absence process is initiated with the Dean of Students. Students receiving financial aid are advised to consult the Student Financial Aid Office before requesting a Voluntary Leave of Absence in order to verify how their financial aid package might be impacted.

*Note: The two years in LOA status will count toward the six-year catalog timeframe.

Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence

The College may require a student to take an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence in certain circumstances when the student's health may be adversely impacted or the community may be adversely impacted by the student's continued presence on campus. This policy describes how these leaves of absence can be issued and appealed.

The Dean of Students or designee may issue Involuntary Medical Leave of Absences. An Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence may be issued if a student:

  • Is engaging in, or is threatening to engage in, behavior that poses a significant danger of causing substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others; or

  • The student's behavior has resulted in substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others and the behavior continues, or there is a risk the behavior will continue, posing a significant danger of causing substantial harm to the health, safety, or welfare of the student or others; or

  • The student's behavior has resulted in significant disruption of the teaching, learning, or administrative activities of other members of the campus community and the behavior continues, or there is a risk the behavior will continue, with the likely result of such behavior substantially impeding the education processes or proper activities or functions of The College and its personnel.

Before issuing an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence, the Dean of Students or designee will, when possible:

  • Consult with others who can provide relevant information about the student's condition; and

  • Provide the student an opportunity to present information about his or her circumstances. If the student is unable or unwilling to meet with the Dean in a timely manner, the student's opportunity to provide information is waived.

The Dean or designee will issue an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence in writing (email to the student's College of Idaho address and hardcopy to student's campus mailbox) to the student. The written notice will include:

  • The effective date of the leave.

  • The reasons for requiring the leave.

  • The conditions for re-enrollment.

  • Any restrictions imposed on the student's access to the campus or college-sponsored activities.

A student wishing to return from an Involuntary Medical Leave of Absence must:

  • Notify the Dean of Students of desire to return.

  • Document fulfillment of all conditions placed on re-enrollment.

  • Meet all other admission and enrollment requirements of the College.

The Dean will notify the student in writing of the decision to approve or deny returning to campus and/or re-enrollment.